Občan Podnikatel Turista
Church of the Annunciation
Chapel of St Florian Chapel of St Anne Chapel of St Mary Einsiedeln home
Piarist College
Česky Deutsch English Česky Deutsch English
Socialist realism
Socialist realism - SORELA
Architecture of the 50s of the 20 century
Due to the development of the of mining of strategic raw material - uranium ore - then exported to the Soviet Union, a housing estate of the National Enterprise Jáchymovské Doly started to grow since 1947 in the open fields in the neighbourhood of the old Ostrov. The new town was created in the design studio of Jáchymovské doly enterprise, mainly by Jaroslav Krauz, the chief architect there. Originally, in 1954, municipal planning dealt with plans for 19 thousand inhabitants. However this was later changed and plans were redrawn for 25 thousand inhabitants.

The urban plan of the complex is based on a regular system of a built-up area of individual residential zones. Mírové náměstí became the central space of the new town. Being enclosed on the perimeter, it evokes the air of squares of historic towns. The area of the square proper shows classic formal elements: geometrically incorporated dwarf walls creating a regular pattern framing the whole square; and flowerbeds with architectural elements such as decorative spheres and vases. From the square, axis leads to the main boulevard called Hlavní, formerly Leninova třída. Individual residential areas with civic buildings and other important infrastructure are connected to the boulevard. Delimiting and separating the individual areas, greenery was supposed to have a defining role in planning of the town. The new town was therefore designed as a genuine "garden town".

Cultural Institute
A massive structure dominating the whole town was built at the top of Mírové náměstí in 1954 – 1955. The monumental impact was created by a heavy portico with a columned loggia and a stepped gable topped by a group of sculptures representing a miner, a harvester and a student by sculptor Jaroslav Šlezinger imprisoned in a labour camp in nearby Vykmanov. For its architectural features the building is a prime example of the classical style of traditionalism of the 50s of the 20th century.

Brigádník Department store
A residential complex with shops on the ground level is located on the south side of the square. It is covered by a very low hipped roof with attic gable, its central section rises to a tall building topped by a spire.

Administrative building and post office
Built in 1955 – 1956 as counterbalance to Brigádník department store on the view axis of Hlavní třída. The middle section is topped by the middle residential superstructure with a stepped gable.

Družba Restaurant
The building of the restaurant was constructed next to the administrative building of the post office in Hlavní třída in 1955 - 1959. Corner buttresses in the front are by means of attic gables turned into two towers. The facade is sectioned by flat lisena frames.

J. V. Myslbek´s School
It was built in 1955 – 1956. Its central axis is accentuated by the portico and enhanced by the stepped attic gable. The outer buttresses have attic gables too. The facade is sectioned by a row of high pilasters in two layers with capitals made of glazed ceramics. The forecourt in front of the school is created by regular pattern of lawns with decorative vases.

Buildings of playschools and nurseries represent other prominent examples of the traditionalist Ostrov architecture. Buildings deserving particular appreciation are the original nursery, now housing the 7th playschool, in Krušnohorská ulice; and 2nd playschool in Halasova ulice displaying ceramic relieves of animal figures by ceramist Jiří Kemr and painter Milan Kraus.

Residential complexes are based on an officially approved construction type treated architecturally. Entrance portals are rectangular with Renaissance features, windows are bordered by flat architraves with window-ledge fillings and balcony rails display linden-leaf décor. Facade is of coloured Břízolit, in parterre treated as artificial stone with bevelled corner edges and socle. The ground floor is covered in sgraffito plaster displaying envelope resembling shapes and small oblong panels with sgraffito decoration above the individual entrances. Overall the socialist-realism architecture in Ostrov represents an example of moderate historicism. Considerable structural illusiveness and its evident flatness bears marks of traditional modernism and suggests strong influence of architecture of the First Czechoslovak Republic of times between the wars. Due to its urban composition and architectural design the new town in Ostrov represents one of the most prominent examples of urban complexes built in the Czech Republic in the 50s of the 20th century.

Text by Mgr. Lubomír Zeman